Custom Search
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982)

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Geminid Meteor Shower (12/14-15/2011)

I should have posted this right after the event but usually it goes to my facebook account first.

Anyway, since I've gone interested in astrophotography, I regularly visit NASA's calendar of space events and have read about the Geminid meteor shower. The Geminid meteor shower will be visible in the Americas at Dec. 13 to 14 and Dec. 14 to 15 around Asia and Australia.

Cloudy between 22:00-1:00. Waited for about 3 hours to get a clearer sky. Around 2:00, clouds began to disperse and stars are becoming visible. Set the camera with the following settings: Moon was taken earlier in evening 20:00-21:00 with aperture not too narrow around f/5.8, ISO 80, and exposure time of 1/200 (fast enough to capture the moon's detail, this is where I went wrong my first try). About the stars, totally different setting. Aperture is not too wide around f/3.0, ISO 400, exposure time of 15 to 30 seconds, varying. Out of 200+ star photos I've captured, I was only able to get 2 decent Geminid photos but it was worth the wait. Activity ended approximately 5 in the morning.

“You only get one shot at life. Why waste it on sleep?” - Gustav Graves













No comments:

Powered By Blogger